Sofía de Sampaio Jalles
Sofia de Sampaio Jalles is a Portuguese national, trained as a lawyer in France, specialised in commercial law and arbitration.
In 2016 Sofia de Sampaio Jalles joined Armesto & Asociados to work in a team with founding partner Juan Fernández-Armesto. Sofia participates in arbitration proceedings, including international, ad hoc and administered arbitrations involving commercial and investment disputes.
Most of the international cases are administered by ICC and ICSID. As to the ad hoc arbitrations, most of them are subject to the UNCITRAL Rules.
Before joining Armesto & Asociados, Sofia was an intern both at Dechert (Paris) LLP for a period of six months, and at Armesto & Asociados, for another six months, and participated in several international arbitration competitions (Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje Comercial and Young Arbitrators Match).
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- French Bar Association
- Spanish Arbitration Club (Club Español del Arbitraje)
In 2013 Sofia worked as an intern at the Portuguese law firm Vieira de Almeida & Associados, in Lisbon, Portugal, in Competition and European Union Law . Following that experience, in 2014, she joined the team of Mergers and Acquisitions of the law firm PDGB Avocats in Paris, France, for a three month internship.
Sofia holds a Bachelor degree in Political Sciences from the prestigious university of Sciences Po Paris, obtained in 2011.
On her third year, Sofia participated in an exchange program during which she spent a year at King’s College London.
Sofia also holds a Master degree in Economic Law, with a specialisation in litigation and international arbitration, from Sciences Po Paris, which she obtained in 2014. In the course of her two years of Master, Sofia participated in the VI and VII Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje Comercial.
Finally, from 2014 to 2016 Sofia joined the Ecole de Formation des Barreaux de la Cour d’appel de Paris, completing her education as a lawyer and obtaining the Certificat d’Aptitude à la Profession d’Avocat (2016).
- Portuguese (mother tongue)
- French (bilingual)
- English (bilingual)
- Spanish (bilingual)
- Italian (working level)
- “Due Process Paranoia” – in the panel “O devido processo legal e o controle judicial das sentenças arbitrais (reconhecimento e anulação)” at the XVI Congresso Internacional de Arbitragem (Organized by the Brazilian Arbitration Committee) (Brazil) (2017).
- “Hot topics” – at the II Encontro do CEA-40 in Portugal (Organized by the Club Español de Arbitraje, Under 40) (Portugal) (2018).
- “Overview of the tribunal secretary’s tasks and role in the organization of the proceedings” – at the ICC Institute Training for Tribunal Secretaries (Organized by the ICC Institute of World Business Law) (Brazil) (2018).
- “Construir o futuro da Arbitragem Internacional: mais ou menos…” – at the Under 40 Meeting at the VIII Encontro Internacional de Arbitragem de Coimbra (Organized by José Miguel Júdice and António Pinto Leite and by the Under 40 coordinators, Filipe Vaz Pinto, António Júdice Moreira, Joana Galvão Teles e Telma Pires de Lima) (Portugal) (2018).
As Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal
- European Republic vs. Private Companies, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICC, privatization in the shipbuilding sector, English language, (2014).
- State-Owned Oil and Gas Company vs. Agency of a State, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICC, concession agreement, Portuguese language, (2014).
- Telecom Company vs. African State, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICC, shareholders’ agreement, Portuguese language, (2015).
- PT Ventures, SGPS, S.A. vs. The Republic of Cabo Verde, Assistant to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/12, investment arbitration under BIT, Portuguese language, (2015).
- UAE Investor vs. Brazilian Investors, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICC, shareholders agreement relating to a major construction project, Brazilian law, English language, (2016).
- Spanish and Chilean train construction companies vs. Canadian and Chilean train construction companies, Administrative Secretary to the Sole Arbitrator, ICC, consortium agreement, Spanish law, English language, (2016).
- Spanish construction company vs. Spanish construction company, Secretary to the Emergency Arbitrator, Corte Española de Arbitraje, consortium agreement, Spanish law and language, (2016).
- Spanish beverage producer vs. Distributor of beverage, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, Corte Española de Arbitraje, distribution agreement, Spanish law and language, (2016).
- Spanish Fund manager vs. Spanish Venture Capital Fund, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, Corte de Arbitraje de Madrid, Spanish law and language, (2016).
- French distillery vs. Spanish distillery, Administrative Secretary to the Sole Arbitrator, Corte de Arbitraje de Madrid, es aequo et bono, Spanish language, (2016).
- Oil and Gas Company vs. African State-Owned Entity, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, UNCITRAL (ICC administered), production sharing contract, Portuguese language, (2017).
- Luxembourg Holding Company vs. Luxembourg Holding Company, Administrative Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICC, share purchase agreement, Portuguese law, English language (2018).