Mélanie Riofrio Piché
Mélanie Riofrio Piché is a Canadian-Ecuadorean national. She is a lawyer specialized in international arbitration.
Experience in Arbitration
In 2012 Mélanie joined Armesto & Asociados to work in a team with founding partner Juan Fernández-Armesto. She participates in international arbitration proceedings including commercial and investment disputes governed by ICC, ICSID, VIAC and DIAC, as well as subject to the UNCITRAL Rules.
In 2012 she did an internship at the PCA in The Hague, the Netherlands, where she actively participated in cases involving States.
In 2011 she did an internship at the ICC in Paris, France, where she had the chance to contribute in commercial arbitral proceedings.
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) representative for Europe
- Foro de abogados de la República del Ecuador
- Spanish Arbitration Association (Club Español del Arbitraje)
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP)
- ICC Young Arbitration Forum (YAF)
- Young ICSID
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
Before joining Armesto & Asociados, Mélanie worked at Serrano Puig Abogados in Quito, Ecuador, Peñaherrera, Ponce & Salvador in Quito, Ecuador, and Fasken Martineau Dumoulin in Montreal, Canada.
Mélanie is an adjunct professor at ESADE Business and Law School and she is a co-Chair of the International Arbitration Seminars & Course (IASC).
Mélanie holds a Law Degree from the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador.
She obtained a master’s degree (LL.M). in Droit des Affaires et Commerce International at Université de Montréal, Canada, and she holds a Certificat en Droit Français et Européen at Université Paris 2 Pantheón-Assas, in Paris, France.
Mélanie won an Honourable Mention in the Werner Melis Award in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Competition.
She also received an award from the Research Center of Business Law and International Commerce at Université de Montréal for best essay on Arbitration: Canadian and International Perspectives.
- French (Mother tongue)
- Spanish (Bilingual)
- English (Bilingual)
- Italian (Intermediate level)
List of Arbitrations
- Álvarez y Marín Corporación S.A. and others vs. Republic of Panama, Assistant to the Tribunal, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/14, investment arbitration under BIT investment arbitration under BIT, Spanish language, (2015)
- Peruvian Company vs. Peruvian and Colombian Companies, Secretary to the Tribunal, ICC, turnkey construction contract, Peruvian law, Spanish language, (2015)
- European Companies vs. European State Owned Entities and European Companies, Secretary to the Tribunal, UNCITRAL Rules, share purchase agreement in the aluminium sector, English language, (2014)
- Spanish Company vs. Portuguese Company, Secretary to the Tribunal, Corte de Arbitraje de Madrid, sale in the solar energy sector, Spanish law and language, (2014)
- Tenaris S.A. and Talta – Trading e Marketing Sociedade Unipessoal Lda. vs. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Assistant to the Tribunal, ICSID Case No. ARB/12/23, investment arbitration under BIT, English and Spanish languages, (2013)
- Foreign Investor vs. Public Entity of a Central American Republic, Secretary to the Tribunal, ICC, joint venture in the electricity market, Spanish language, (2013)
- Two United Arab Emirates Companies vs. United Arab Emirates Company, Secretary to the Tribunal, DIAC, construction and development agreements, Dubai and UAE laws, English language, (2012)
- How to break into International Arbitration, Young ICSID, Mexico City, June 2017.
- Around the World in 80-ish Minutes, Reporter, 6th ICC YAF Global Conference, New York, June 2017.
- Persuasion Techniques in International Arbitration, ICC YAF, Madrid, April 2017.
- Emergency Relief and Third Party Funding in Intl. Arb. Emerging Issues, ICDR Young & International y CIDS, Geneva, January 2017.
- How to reduce costs in commercial arbitration?, Club Español del Arbitraje (Under 40), Madrid, Spain, June, 2016, Moderator.
- Arbitration and State, IX Conferencia de Arbitraje Internacional Centro de Arbitraje y Mediación de la Cámara de Comercio Ecuatoriano – Americana y el Instituto Ecuatoriano de Arbitraje, Moderator, Quito, Ecuador, April 2016.
- From Freud to Redfern- Philosophy and practice of international arbitration, ICC YAF, Quito, Ecuador, April, 2016.
- Arbitrators and Party Representatives, Close Friends or Forbidden Friends?, ICC YAF and the Institute of International Arbitration at University of Miami, Miami, United States, October 2015.
- Investment Arbitration and WTO Litigation at a Crossroads, Madrid Arbitration Day, Universidad de Comillas and Club Español del Arbitraje, Madrid, Spain, May 2015
- Arbitrator Independence and Impartiality: Is it getting stricter?, ICC YAF-YAAP Joint Conference: Young approaches to arbitration, Vienna, Austria, March 2015
- Ethics in international arbitration, ICC YAF, Santa Cruz, Bolivia, August 8, 2014
- Calculating Damages in International Arbitration, ICC YAF, Quito, Ecuador, March 2014.
- Arbitration in Quebec, The different stages of arbitration: Canadian and international perspectives, Université de Montréal, 2011.
- Investment Treaty Arbitration – Ecuador, Know-How Global Arbitration Review – GAR, marzo 2015
- “L’évolution du droit québécois de l’arbitrage conventionnel”, Revue d’arbitrage et de médiation / Journal of Arbitration and Mediation 3(1), 2013
- “La Denuncia del Convenio CIADI por parte de Ecuador”, Revista de arbitraje ecuatoriana, co-autor Iñigo Salvador Crespo, 2011
- FTI Award for best reasoned quantum in the Young Arbitrators Match, Paris Very Young Arbitration Practitioners – PVYAP, September 2014.
- Honourable Mention in the Werner Melis Award for best memorandum for Respondent, Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, February 2012
- Award for best essay on Arbitration: Canadian and International Perspectives, BLSA and Research Center of Business Law and International Commerce at Université de Montréal, March 2011.
- Scholarship Centro de Investigaciones de Derecho Internacional at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador for the 2008-2009 academic semester.