Maria Drummond Borges
Maria Drummond Borges is a Portuguese lawyer specialised in litigation and arbitration.
Experience in Arbitration
In 2011 Maria Drummond Borges joined Armesto & Asociados to work in a team with founding partner Juan Fernández-Armesto. Maria participates in arbitration proceedings, including international, ad hoc and administered arbitrations involving commercial and investment disputes.
Most of the international cases are administered by the ICC, and ICSID, whilst other arbitrations are conducted under the rules of the Madrid Court of Arbitration and DIAC. As to the ad hoc arbitrations, most of them are subject to the UNCITRAL Rules.
See annex for a list of cases in which she has participated.
- Portuguese Bar Association
- Spanish Arbitration Club (Club Español del Arbitraje)
- Portuguese Arbitration Association (APA)
Between 2006 and 2010 Maria Drummond Borges worked as a lawyer at the law firm Serra Lopes, Cortes Martins & Associados, in Lisbon, Portugal. Between 2007 and 2010 she belonged to the Arbitration, Civil and Commercial Litigation Practice Group acting as counsel in various commercial, civil and criminal disputes. She also gained experience in Portuguese domestic commercial arbitration related to cases administered by the Portuguese Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Maria has also participated in domestic commercial ad hoc arbitrations subject only to the Portuguese Arbitration Act.
Maria holds a Law degree (2006) from the Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, in Lisbon, Portugal
On her fourth year of law school, Maria participated in an exchange program taking the second semester at the Universitat Autónoma Barcelona, in Barcelona, Spain.
Maria also held post-graduate studies in Commercial Law in the Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Católica Portuguesa, in Lisbon, Portugal (2007).
During the academic year 2010-2011 Maria obtained a masters degree (LL.M.) at the Instituto de Empresa, in Madrid, Spain. During the LL.M. program, Maria obtained a certificate in business administration and in European studies and also for her participation in the Willem C. Vis International Commecial Arbitration Moot.
- Portuguese (mother tongue)
- Spanish (bilingual)
- English (bilingual)
List of Arbitrations
- Two United Arab Emirates Companies vs. United Arab Emirates Company, Administrative Secretary, DIAC, construction and development agreements, Dubai and UAE laws, English language, (2012).
- Brazilian Company vs. Brazilian Company, Administrative Secretary, ICC, supply agreement, Brazilian law, Portuguese language, (2012).
- Private Companies vs. European Republic, Administrative Secretary, ICC, privatization in the ship building sector, English language, (2013).
- State Owned Oil and Gas Company vs. Agency of a State, Administrative Secretary, ICC, concession agreement, Portuguese language, (2014).
- European Republic vs. Private Companies, Administrative Secretary, ICC, privatization in the ship building sector, English language, (2014).
- Sterling Merchant Finance Ltd. vs. Government of the Republic of Cape Verde, Assistant to the sole arbitrator, UNCITRAL, PCA, services agreement, English language, (2015).
- PT Ventures, SGPS, S.A. (Portugal) vs. República de Cabo Verde (Cabo Verde) vs. Cabo Verde Telecom, S.A. (Cabo Verde), Administrative Secretary, ICC, shareholders’ agreement, Portuguese language, (2015).
- PT Ventures, SGPS, S.A. vs. Republic of Cabo Verde, Assistant to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/12, investment arbitration under BIT, Portuguese language, (2015).