Krystle Baptista Serna
Krystle M. Baptista Serna is a lawyer specialized in litigation and arbitration.
Experience in Arbitration
In 2014, Krystle M. Baptista joined Armesto & Asociados to work in a team with founding partner Juan Fernández-Armesto. Krystle participates in arbitration proceedings, including international, ad hoc and administered arbitrations involving commercial and investment disputes.
Most of the international cases are administered by the ICC, and ICSID, whilst other arbitrations are conducted under the rules of the VIAC and CIAC- IACAC. As to the ad hoc arbitrations, most of them are subject to the UNCITRAL Rules.
See annex for a list of cases in which she has participated.
- New York State Bar Association
- Madrid Bar Association
- Spanish Arbitration Club (Club Español del Arbitraje): Under 40 Co-chair
- ICC YAF
- Young ICSID
Between 2009 and 2013, Krystle worked as a lawyer at the law firm Cuatrecasas, Gonçalves Pereira, in Madrid and Barcelona. She was part of the program for the promotion of young international lawyers (PPAI) and, as such, she gained relevant experience in corporate law, tax law, white-collar crime litigation, and international and domestic litigation and arbitration. In 2012 and 2013, she belonged to the Arbitration, Civil and Commercial Litigation Practice Group acting as counsel in various commercial arbitrations and, civil and commercial disputes.
Prior to obtaining her law degree, Krystle was an intern at the law firm Uría Menéndez in Brussels, Belgium, ACM Corporation in Changzhou, China, and the law firm Macleod Dixon (currently Norton Rose Fulbright) in Caracas, Venezuela.
Since 2014, Krystle combines her work at Armesto & Asociados with academic work as an associate professor at IE Law School, where she teaches International Arbitration to master students. She also teaches at the Masters for Access to the Legal Profession of the University of Navarra.
Krystle holds a Law Degree (2009) from the Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain, where she graduated as the top student of her class and was awarded the Aranzadi “Best Transcript” Award (3rd Place). She also obtained the Anglo-American Law Diploma, the International Business Law Diploma and the Global Law Diploma.
Krystle participated in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot and in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. On her last year of law school, Krystle participated in an exchange program and spent the fall semester at Chicago-Kent College of Law in Chicago (USA).
Ms. Baptista received a scholarship from the Madrid Court of Arbitration to take an Advanced Program on Arbitration Practice at IE Law School on May and June 2010.
During the academic year 2011-2012, Krystle obtained a masters degree (L.L.M.) at New York University (NYU) in New York City, USA. During the LL.M. program, Krystle specialized in International Legal Studies.
While at NYU, Krystle was the recipient of the “Half –Tuition Dean’s Award” as well as a full scholarship from the Fundación Caja Madrid.
Krystle was the Spanish National Administrator of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition in 2011 and 2013.
- Spanish (mother tongue)
- English (bilingual)
- French (intermediate)
- Chinese (Basic)
List of Arbitrations
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation and Occidental Exploration and Production Company vs. Republic of Ecuador, Assistant to the Chairman of the Annulment Committee, ICSID Case No. ARB/06/11, English and Spanish language, (2012)
- Bolivian Company vs. Mexican Company and its Mexican parent Company, Administrative Secretary, IACAC- CIAC, shareholders agreement, Bolivian law, Spanish language, (2012)
- Edenred S.A. vs. Hungary, Assistant to the Arbitral Tribunal, ICSID Case No. ARB/13/21, investment arbitration under BIT, English language, (2014)
- International Oil Company vs. South American National Oil Company, Administrative Secretary, IACAC- CIAC, adjustment of contractual royalties, Spanish language, (2014)
- Eastern European Company vs. Eastern European Republic, Administrative Secretary, ICC, investment arbitration under BIT, English language, (2014)
- Ecuadorian Sellers vs. Buyer and Related Companies (Spanish and Ecuadorian), Administrative Secretary, ICC, share purchase agreement, Ecuadorian law, Spanish language, (2015)
- Mexican Consortium vs. Mexican State Owned Corporation, Administrative Secretary, ICC, public service construction agreement, Mexican law, Spanish language, (2015)
- Document Production in the III International Arbitration Congress in Barcelona, ICAB (2014)
- Investment Arbitration: hot procedural issues, IX CEA-40 Annual Meeting in Madrid, CEA-40 (2015)
- Claims under the ECT against Spain and Italy, Arbit meets CEA-40, Rome (2015)
- Arbitration and Mediation in Masters for Access to the Legal Profession – IE Law School (2016)
- Arbitration in Masters for Access to the Legal Profession – Universidad de Navarra (2016)
- International Arbitration Advocacy in International Business Law Master – IE Law School (2015-2016)
- Arbitration in Masters for Access to the Legal Profession – Universidad de Navarra (2015)
- International Arbitration Advocacy in International Business Law Master – IE Law School (2014-2015)